Spread the facts!
250 g (8oz ) sugar
125ml (4fl oz) water
60ml (2fl oz) rose water
4 teaspoons liquid saffron
250g (8oz ) unsalted butter
250g (8oz) plain flour
1. Boil the sugar and water together until the sugar is dissolved, then add the rosewater and saffron. Remove from heat but keep warm.
2. Melt butter in a pan and gradually stir in the flour to a smooth paste. Cook over a low heat until golden in color.
3. Over a very low heat, slowly add the syrup to blend into a smooth paste. Remove from heat immediately.
4. While still warm, spread on to a plate and press down with the back of a dessertspoon, making a pattern with the spoon.
5. Serve cold, cut into small wedges, accompanied by toast and tea.